The first Chamber of Commerce entity in the Colonie/Latham area was the formation of the Albany Junior Chamber of Commerce in 1935.
Filled with firms owned by local families, the largest major business event in the early history of Latham was the opening of the Latham Corners Shopping Center, now the Latham Circle Mall, in 1958. The steady growth of Latham was enhanced by the new 35-store shopping center. In looking for a venue to advertise area businesses, the merchants of the new mall became the Latham-Colonie Division of the Albany Chamber. This division was dissolved many years later.
In the early seventies, the Latham Business and Professional Association (LBPA), a completely volunteer business organization, was formed. The first General Meeting was held May 13, 1975, officers were named, and the LBPA began its tenure as a volunteer organization which continued until 1985.
For some time, the Board of Directors wanted the LBPA to become a viable business entity and in September 1985 voted to become the Latham Area Chamber of Commerce. After drafting and instituting the Chamber bylaws, the Latham Area Chamber of Commerce opened its first office at 459 Troy Schenectady Road with Joseph Patanian as the first Chairman of the Board and Nancy Kruegler as Executive Director. Recognizing that many of the Chamber's efforts benefit the business community beyond the borders of Latham, the Chamber's byline read "Serving the Business Community in the Town of Colonie". The following twenty years saw great development to both Colonie and the Chamber; membership grew to about 550 businesses from all areas of Colonie and the Capital District.
In the summer of 2005 a metamorphosis occurred; Nancy Kruegler retired, the Chamber office moved to its current location at 950 New Loudon Road, and to better reflect its mission and scope, the Board of Directors voted unanimously to change its name to the Colonie Chamber of Commerce with a new byline:
Colonie is Our Business